NCAA Rules & Extra Benefits
The NCAA defines an extra benefit as any special arrangement by an institutional employee or a representative of the institution's athletics interest to provide a student-athlete (or a student-athlete's relative or friend) a benefit that is not generally available to other Lake Erie College students and their relative and/or friends or, is not expressly authorized by NCAA legislation. Therefore, please be aware of the following:
- A student-athlete cannot accept anything from an employee of Lake Erie College (including a coach) or a Lake Erie College Storm Club member. This includes, but is not limited to the use of a car, clothing, gifts (even a prize, trinket or item of minimal value), books, money, tickets for any kind of entertainment, or payment of long distance telephone calls.
- A student-athlete cannot accept free or reduced cost room and/or board. This would preclude a student-athlete from "house sitting" without paying rental costs at a comparable rate for similar housing in that locale.
- A student-athlete may not accept free or reduced cost storage room for personal belongings during the summer months.
- A student-athlete cannot accept free or reduced merchandise or services from any merchant unless that free or reduced cost item is also available to the general public.
- A student-athlete cannot eat at a restaurant as the guest of a Lake Erie College Storm Club member.
- On infrequent, special occasions (e.g., a birthday, Thanksgiving, etc.), a student-athlete may accept an invitation to the home of an employee of Lake Erie College or a Lake Erie College Storm Club member, for a meal. Student-Athletes will not attend special events without a written permission from the Compliance Office.
- Using departmental equipment or the long distance access code of an employee of Lake Erie College for personal use is not permissible.
- Members of the Department of Athletics staff, and tutors are not permitted to type reports, papers, letters, etc., for a student-athlete.
- A student-athlete cannot receive a special discount, payment arrangement or credit on a purchase (e.g., airline ticket, clothing), or service (e.g., laundry, dry cleaning) from an employee of Lake Erie College or a Lake Erie College Storm Club member.
- A Lake Erie College or a Lake Erie College Storm Club member cannot provide a student-athlete with a loan of money, a guarantee of bond, the use of an automobile or the signing or co-signing of a note to arrange a loan.
The acceptance by a student-athlete of any of the above extra benefits is a violation of NCAA regulations and places the student-athlete's eligibility for intercollegiate competition in immediate jeopardy. It is extremely important for both you and Lake Erie College to know and abide by all NCAA regulations. If you have any questions regarding NCAA regulations, ask an athletic administrator or contact the Compliance Office at 440-375-7472 before doing something that may jeopardize a student-athlete's eligibility to participate in intercollegiate athletics.