Crucial Call Cancels Comeback for Storm

CALIFORNIA, Pa. (January 7, 2009) - A crucial call in the final minute of play could have made a difference as Lake Erie College lost on the road to California (Pa.), 73-64 Wednesday night.

With Lake Erie trailing by five, 68-64 with a minute to play, the ball in California's hands and the shot clock winding down, the Storm's smothering defense knocked the ball away. A player from each team jumped on the loose ball and with one second left on the shot clock, a jump ball call was made. After a brief discussion between officials, the shot clock was reset, giving the Vulcans a full 35 seconds to set up an offense rather than the one second which was left. The reset resulted because the officials determined Lake Erie had possession when it knocked the ball away.

Now with a full shot clock at their disposal, California took its time on offense, running down the precious seconds. Lake Erie was forced to foul and the Vuclans connected on both attempts in the double bonus opportunity to go ahead, 71-64 with 45 seconds remaining in the game.

Lake Erie missed a layup on the opposite end before fouling and sending the Vulcans to the line for two more points.

Even with the call at the end of the game, which having gone another way could have resulted in a positive outcome for the Storm, another key difference in the scoring totals came at the foul line. Lake Erie went 3-for-5 from the stripe, heading to the line just three times in the second half, whereas the Vulcans went 21-for-32 from the line for the game. The score was tied at the break at 34.

Sophomore Ethan Bradshaw (Cincinnati, Ohio/Harmony Prep) and senior Rick Leasure (Concord, Ohio/Riverside) led the Storm in scoring with 19 and 18 points, respectively. Leasure also pulled down a team-high six rebounds. Senior John Dickinson (Euclid, Ohio/Euclid) had a game-high six assists and two steals.

Lake Erie (5-13) remains on the road with a 4 p.m. game against Central State University on Saturday.