FAIRPORT, N.Y.-- Lake Erie College track and field student-athlete Joe Postwaite (Rochester, N.Y./Gates-Chili) was named the recipient of the James D. Ulrich Award for Male Track and Field Athlete of the Year, presented by the Niagara Track and Field Hall of Fame.
"I am very excited to have one of my own be recognized for all of the hard work he has put in on and off the track," said Storm Head Coach Ryan Rademacher. "He is a leader of this team and understands the importance of being a successful student-athlete for his future."
The award is presented to the best non-Division I male track and field athlete from the Rochester area. Postwaite joined Cory Cox of Buffalo State College and Desmond Mobley of South Plains College as finalists. [Finalist List]
"Joe was talented out of high school and had all of the right tools, but had trouble understanding how to use them," continued Rademacher. "Putting his head down, going through failures first and understanding that better things were to come in his future is how he became so successful. His attitude and willingness to help others are more important than his successes on the track and we are all proud of him and his accomplishments!"
Postwaite found success on the national level during the 2013-14 indoor and outdoor track and field seasons. In the indoor season, he finished second in the triple jump at the NCAA Division-II Championships. He then earned his fourth All-American honor during the outdoor season, placing seventh at the NCAA Division-II Championships. Here is a look at Postwaite's 2013-14 seasons.
- Ranked #10 in HJ, #23 in LJ, #3 in TJ in the NCAA D2
- All-American in the triple jump (2nd, 15.70m | 51-6.25)
- Runner-up in the NCAA Division II Indoor Champs triple jump (15.70m | 51-6.25)
- Fifteenth in the NCAA Division II Indoor Champs high jump (2.00m | 6-6.75)
- 2014 GLIAC Indoor Champ in the triple jump
- Fourth in the GLIAC Indoor Champs long jump (7.16m | 23-6)
- Fifth in the GLIAC Indoor Champs high jump (1.99m | 6-6.25)
- NCAA D-2 Indoor T&F Team Challenge at SPIRE champ in the triple jump (15.64m | 51-3.75)
- Runner-up in the NCAA D-2 Indoor T&F Team Challenge at SPIRE high jump (2.03m | 6-8)
- School Record Holder in TJ
- USTFCCCA Regional Field Athlete of the Year 2013
- Season Best
- High jump 2.12m (6-11.5)
- Long Jump 7.16m (23-6)
- Triple Jump 15.70m (51-6.25)
- Ranked #6 in HJ, #36 in LJ, #8 in TJ in the NCAA D2
- All-American in the triple jump (7th, 15.41m | 50-6.75)
- Seventh in the NCAA Division II Outdoor Champs triple jump (15.41m | 50-6.75)
- Fourteenth in the NCAA Division II Outdoor Champs high jump (2.00m | 6-6.75)
- Runner-up in the GLIAC Outdoor Champs long jump (7.21m | 23-8w)
- Ashland Alumni Open champ in the triple jump (15.31m | 50-2.75w)
- Runner-up in the Sparky Adams Invite high jump (2.15m | 7-0.5)
- One of the only athletes in the country to jump 7ft in high jump, 51ft in triple jump, and 23 ft in long jump.
- Team Captain
- Dean's List 2014
- Season Best
- High Jump 2.15m (7-0.5)
- Long Jump 7.15m (23-5)
- Triple Jump 15.41m (50-6.75)